Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fast and Furious 6 Review

Yeah, I am aware this movie came out 2 weeks ago but I just finally saw it.  I am kind of depressed about that though as this is one I was really looking forward to.  The Fast and Furious movies have always been some of my favorites.  They are ridiculously entertaining and I love the cars despite the enjoyably bad acting (Walker and Diesel are the Magic and Bird of bad acting - let's be honest) that has marked these movies ever since their inception.  I am not sure when The Fast and The Furious was made back in 2001, I don't know if Rob Cohen ever thought his movie would become one of the most successful action franchises since Die Hard.  And what makes these movies unique is that unlike many series, they get better with age.  They have consistently gotten better each time (with the exception of Tokyo Drift, which I don't include since it isn't part of the main story line).

What I love about these films is that they know exactly what they are and don't try to be anything else.  They are great action movies.  Great action movies don't need great acting but a decent plot and some great one liners to keep it upbeat.  Bad Boys is perfect at that, and Fast and Furious movies are only a step behind.  This movie is no different.  Our plot goes something like this, a team of drivers that are as crazy as Dominic Toretto's crew is looking to assemble a weapon that, if used, could destroy millions of lives.  Agent Hobbs has been chasing them for however long and now has four days to catch them.  Rather than going and getting Seal Team 6 (who killed Osama bin Laden mind you - for those who weren't breathing on May 1, 2011, or never saw Zero Dark Thirty) Hobbs decides the best person to bring them down are Dominc Toretto and the crew of fugitive criminals that stole 100 million dollars from a drug kingpin.  All of them are living lavish lives very safe from harm, until Dom calls them all and brings them in for this "one last job" (I feel like I have heard this before).  Why would they do this?  Well, Letty, whose death caused Dom to kill like 200 people and cause like a billion dollars in property damage a couple movies ago, is somehow alive and working with the bad guys?!?!  I'm not sure how that happened, but needless to say, Dom is in.

Thus begins the action.  Dom and his team, along with Hobbs and a new partner in stopping crime, go after Owen Shaw, a spec ops soldier who specializes in "vehicular warfare" (oh, now I understand why I need Dom Toretto to bring this guy down - Seal Team 6 could never catch him).  For much of the rest of the movie, we get explosions, car chases, crazy mid air stunts, jumping from car to car, and everything else you could ever expect from a Fast and Furious film.  Even the acting in this movie isn't half bad, like in some of the previous films.  Much of that I attribute to the writing, which is much better in this film than in some of the past ones.

I will say this about the Fast and Furious films.  The one thing about them that I have always respected is how much it shows the importance of family.  That theme is a pillar of these films that I have always respected.  This film has no shortage of family unity and I absolutely love that.  Overall this movie was everything I hoped it could be.  It was a fun movie that was ridiculously entertaining.  It was even sentimental and at the end had me even a bit emotional.  It had solid laughs and great action.  Even though the stunts were completely absurd, they were definitely awesome.  Overall, this is a great film in what has become one of the all time great action franchises.  I give it an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment