Thursday, December 12, 2013

Quick Reactions - Golden Globe Nominations

The Golden Globe Nominations were announced about 90 minutes ago and here are some quick reactions.  Before I begin, I do want to mention I much prefer the Golden Globes to the Emmys or Oscars every year since you don't get awards for the technical mumbo jumbo no one really cares about.  That being said, here are my reactions.  Keep in mind, some of these reactions are to movies that have not yet been released or that I have no yet seen, so I am basing my reactions on trailers and reviews of people whom I trust, such as Richard Roeper, who's reviews for these films can be found at www.richardroeper.com

Movies - Drama

So I'll just put these all together based on what fell in the drama category.  My first reaction is pure joy to see Matthew McConaughey get nominated for what may be his best performance ever in Dallas Buyer's Club.  I've heard a lot of buzz that he might be a contender for a best supporting actor award somewhere for Wolf of Wall Street but it seems like without a nomination here, chances are he is a dark horse come Oscar time along with Jonah Hill.  However, with Tom Hanks getting a nod as well for Captain Phillips and Robert Redford getting nominated for All Is Lost, I believe McConaughey is a lock for an Oscar nod come January.  I have no argument with anyone nominated here at all.  I believe come Oscar time, when drama and comedy are combined, we'll see Hanks and Redford probably giving way to Leonardo DiCaprio and Christian Bale for their work in Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle respectively.

I have no argument for the women nominated in the best actress in a drama category, though I believe everyone there is fighting for second since I believe Sandra Bullock is a lock to win here and the Oscars.  Her only real competitor for an Oscar looks to be Amy Adams who's role in American Hustle is generating a lot of buzz.

I was super excited to see Rush get some love and get a nomination for Best Picture - Drama.  It is a phenomenal film that I thought would get looked over because of how early in the year it came out, but it did get a nomination, as did Daniel Bruhl who did fantastic work in that film as well.  I don't think either has a chance of winning, but to get nominated in a year filled with incredible films, this is a great achievement.  I believe 12 Years A Slave is probably the front runner here, but we'll know more come closer to awards time.

Movies - Comedy

Okay, so let me start by saying, I was not aware that Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle would qualify as comedies, and I believe that made the drama field a little less crowded.  Those two movies by themselves seem to be the front runners in a pretty week year for comedies.  I think American Hustle sweeps the major categories here with wins for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, as well as taking home Best Supporting Actress.  I would say they take home Best Supporting Actor as well for Bradley Cooper, but the Hollywood Foreign Press is much bolder than the Academy so I believe Barkhad Abdi from Captain Phillips, or even Jared Leto from Dallas Buyers Club have a decent shot at stealing this away.  However, come Oscar time, look for the Academy to give ultra love to another David O. Russell film in American Hustle.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it sweep the acting categories at the Oscars, but probably not here at the Globes.

Television Series - Drama

Again, I think everyone here is playing second to Breaking Bad, with the exception of supporting actor since Aaron Paul didn't do a lot in the second half of season 5.  This show is a near lock to win for Best Series and Best Actor.  In it's final few episodes, Bryan Cranston did some of the best work I have ever seen in television or film.  He was menacing, scary, and I never knew what Walter White would do.  I love that show, but that man haunts my dreams, and I give the credit for that fully to Bryan Cranston, who is one of the greatest actors living today.  With a pretty weak year for television, I am surprised awards favorite Mad Men got no love anywhere.  I think it could have received nominations for Best Series, Best Actor (perennial nominee Jon Hamm), and Best Actress (other perennial nominee Elisabeth Moss).  I think it should have also squeaked out a nominee for Best Supporting Actress for Christina Hendricks who was phenomenal this season.  I also think they missed on not nominating Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad, who after her Emmy win this year, I figured was a lock to win a Golden Globe.  In a nomination category that includes Hayden Pannettiere, Sofia Vergara, and Monica Potter, we couldn't find room for Anna Gunn and Christina Hendricks.  Major snubs there.  My other big snub is perennial snub Timothy Olyphant for his amazing work in FX's Justified.  FX as a network gets little to no love, so we'll see if that ever happens, but I think he deserved a nomination over both Liev Schreiber, and James Spader.  We could have done without those two as fluff nominees and put in Hamm and Olyphant and this immediately becomes a much stronger categories.

Television Series - Comedy

No real surprises here.  I think the early favorite to win Best Show is going to be awards show favorite Girls, an HBO product that I am personally not a big fan of.  I think The Big Bang Theory or Modern Family probably deserve to win, though don't be surprised to see a late push from Brooklyn Nine-Nine which, despite low ratings and not a lot of hype, is one of the better comedy shows I've seen come along in a while.  My votes for the best actor would go to Jim Parsons, who is the funniest actor working in television today.  His role on the Big Bang Theory is amazing and he completely makes that show.  I think the award will probably end up in his hands at the end of the night, but don't be surprised to see Michael J. Fox in his return to television win as well.  He is fantastic in his new show as well.  For Best Actress, I have believed for a while that Zooey Deschanel deserves to win for her amazing work in New Girl, but it looks like it probably won't happen.  Awards shows love Edie Falco for her work in Nurse Jackie, but even Falco has said that isn't a comedy so I don't know why we're still giving her love for it.

So there are my gut reactions with where we are for the nominees across the board.  Let me know what you think.  Leave me a comment with who you think could win, or should win, or even people you think may have been left off.


No comments:

Post a Comment