Sunday, January 12, 2014

Golden Globe Predictions - All Categories

Who will win, and who should win.  So here are my predictions for all categories of the Golden Globe Awards which air tonight:

Best Motion Picture - Drama

This is a pretty easy category to pick.  12 Years a Slave has seemed the prohibitive favorite for most major best picture awards for a while.  I feel that Rush has no chance here.  While Captain Phillips, to me, was the better film, I don't believe that it has the momentum needed to pull the upset here, and I think Gravity has lost a lot of the early momentum it had.  Captain Phillips should win, but 12 Years a Slave will win.

Best Motion Picture - Comedy

No questions here whatsoever.  American Hustle was the best film of the year far and away.  It should win and it will win.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

This is a hugely loaded category.  All 5 of these performances were incredible this year.  Idris Elba, unfortunately is probably the biggest long shot to win here.  He just has no steam and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom seems to have missed out everywhere else.  I think overall this is to me a two man race between Chiwetel Ejiofor for his work in 12 Years a Slave, and Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club.  I think Robert Redford has a better shot in the Academy Awards than here when the voters tend to not take risks as much.  McConaughey is definitely the edgy pick and gave one of the best performances of the year.  I believe he should win, but I believe Ejiofor will win.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Sandra Bullock had this and the Oscar wrapped up from opening night of Gravity.  She gave one of the most transcendent performances of her illustrious career.  She should win and she will win.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy

Normally I would have said that Joaquin Pheonix would have this as a lock for his amazing work in Her.  No man can pull off the emotionally emotionless like he can.  He baffles me every time he does and he is one of the best actors alive.  Unfortunately for him and Bruce Dern, who also gave an amazing performance in Nebraska, American Hustle was classified as a comedy (which I believe was a mis-classification but all is well).  Because of that Christian Bale is far and away the favorite here.  He was amazing in his role as a scum bag, small time, con artist.  He should win and he will win.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy

I loved the movie Enough Said and I was glad to see Julia Louis-Dreyfuss get nominated there.  Unfortunately, romantic comedies don't always play well with awards people, so I believe she doesn't have a huge shot.  It's sad though since I believe she deserves this.  However, again American Hustle has all the momentum in the world and I believe this will be its night.  Julia Louis-Dreyfuss should win, but I believe Amy Adams will win for American Hustle.

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture

This is an absolutely loaded category.  Outside of Daniel Bruhl for Rush, I believe there are four men here who could legitimately win this award and I would have no argument with any of them.  Of those four I believe my favorite performance was from Barkhad Abdi for his work as a Somali pirate in Captain Phillips.  However, the best performance by far was from Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club and that is what the award is for.  However, the Hollywood Foreign Press has been known to give love to foreign actors more often than, say, the Academy does.  I believe Jared Leto should win this award, but I am going with the long shot Abdi to win it in the upset.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture

Jennifer Lawrence is quickly becoming Hollywood's golden girl.  She is whip smart, funny, and not afraid to speak her mind.  Not to mention her performance in American Hustle may have been better than her Oscar winning work in Silver Linings Playbook.  No one else stands a chance here in my opinion.  Lawrence should win and she will win.

Best Director - Motion Picture

With the exception of the man I believe should have won this award, Spike Jonze for Her, I believe the door is open for Alfonso Cuaron.  More than the Academy, the Hollywood Foreign Press awards innovation and Cuaron has created one of the most visually striking and innovative films in years.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave) or David O. Russell (American Hustle) come up and snatch the award but I believe when all is said and done Cuaron should win and he will win.

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Every movie in this category has a shot but I think when all is said and done this is a two horse race between 12 Years a Slave and American Hustle.  I think the dark horse though is Her which could pull an upset, but I think that's a slim chance.  After the Oscar win for Django Unchained last year, the door is open for 12 Years a Slave to pull it off.  However I think, again, the momentum for American Hustle is too great here.  On top of that, it is probably the better choice.  I think American Hustle should win, and it will win.

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Here is where All is Lost will make its mark.  That movie was great for many reasons, but it was driven by its amazing music, as done by Alex Ebert.  If anything will make the upset it will be movie music legend John Williams for his score to The Book Thief.  I don't think it will have enough to pull it off though.  Alex Ebert should win and he will win.

Best Animated Film

No discussion needed here.  Frozen should win and will win.

Best Television Series - Drama

Breaking Bad was the best show on television this past year, and may go down and the best series of all time.  No other show should have a chance of winning here, but the only one that might is Downton Abbey which could get some love for being a foreign product, which always impresses the Hollywood Foreign Press.  I don't think it will gain enough traction to pull it off though.  Breaking Bad should win and it will win.

Best Television Series - Comedy

First year show Brooklyn Nine-Nine is an amazingly funny show.  However it will still fall short to classics Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory.  Girls seems to be another show that gets a lot of traction, but I just do not believe it can compete here.  When all is said and done though I believe The Big Bang Theory should win, but Modern Family will win.

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Everyone here is playing catch up to Behind the Candelabra which seems to be the favorite after sweeping everything at the Emmy's.  I however believe this past season of American Horror Story was better.  American Horror Story should win, but Behind the Candelabra will win.

Best Actor in a Television Series - Drama

Walter White is the most haunting character in television and that has to do entirely with Bryan Cranston.  On top of that, this is a very weak category with the omission of both Jon Hamm (Mad Men) and Timothy Olyphant (Justified).  Cranston should win and he will win.

Best Actress in a Television Series - Drama

This is another fairly weak category since it was a fairly weak year for actresses in television.  The two favorites here, to me, never even appeared on television.  I believe Orange is the New Black and House of Cards were both great and Taylor Schilling and Robin Wright respectively gave amazing performances.  I think this is a two horse race between the two, but when all is said and done Taylor Schilling should win, but Robin Wright will win.

Best Actor in a Television Series - Comedy

It seems rare now a days that network television would have three actors favored over cable, but sitcoms just seem to be better on networks now.  Jim Parsons is definitely my favorite and I have made no bones about the fact that The Big Bang Theory is my favorite comedy on television, and he is a large part of that.  He has won this award once and the equivalent Emmy three times, but don't be surprised to see Michael J. Fox pull this off.  He is gaining a lot of momentum and is the sentimental favorite which can sometimes play a big role.  When the night is over Parsons should win, but Fox will win.

Best Actress in a Television Series - Comedy

This race it seems comes down to Edie Falco and Julia Louis Dreyfuss.  Falco has said herself that she doesn't believe her show (as great as Nurse Jackie is) to be a comedy so I don't know why we're putting her here.  I also don't believe Dreyfuss to be that funny in VEEP.  The funniest, and best, performance in this list comes from Zooey Deschanel for New Girl, but I feel like she is a huge long shot to win this award.  When all is said and done Deschanel should win, but Dreyfuss will win.

Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Made for Television Movie

This will, surprisingly, come down to two actors from the same movie.  Matt Damon and Michael Douglas seem to be in a fight for first for their work as lovers in Behind the Candelabra.  I think Douglas is probably the one who will win when all is said and done, though either would be a solid choice.

Best Actress in a Mini-Series or Made for Television Movie

This is a hard category to predict.  There seems to be no prohibitive favorite here.  I feel like the safe choice for this award would be Helen Mirren who did great work in the HBO film Phil Specor, though the best choice will probably be Jessica Lange for American Horror Story.  I am going to say that Lange should win, but at the end of the night, they will go with the safer choice and Helen Mirren will win.

Best Supporting Actor in Television

I would love to see Aaron Paul get the ultimate love here.  He didn't play as large a part in the last of Breaking Bad but probably did some of his best work in this last season overall.  He was amazing from beginning until his very last scene driving away screaming in exuberance.  Look for the possibility of Rob Lowe to pull the upset here, however I think that is a long shot.  Aaron Paul should win, and if there is justice in the world, he will win.

Best Supporting Actress in Television

In a fairly weak category look for awards favorite Modern Family to pull out another, and rightfully so.  Sophia Vergara is hilarious as the Colombian trophy wife to Ed O'Neill.  She should win, and she will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment